Virtual data rooms (VDRs) became an integral part of successful M&A deals. That is why investment bankers, business leaders, and company executives opt for a virtual data room solution to conduct corporate transactions and store confidential documents.
Such high demand resulted in a variety of virtual data room providers on the market that significantly differ in pricing. Thus, choosing the right virtual data room can often be challenging.
How much does a virtual data room cost in 2023? What’s the average starting price of virtual data room software? What are the factors that influence virtual data room pricing? And what are the common virtual data room pricing structures? These and other questions are answered below.
How much does a virtual data room cost?
Modern virtual data room providers offer different feature sets at different prices.
Virtual data room tariffs are determined by each particular data room provider. Thus, the range can be great.
Virtual data room costs also depend on the provider’s expertise, VDR pricing structure, and clients’ needs. For example, data room software pricing for startups is much cheaper than data room prices for big corporations. This is because small companies will more likely need less cloud storage capacity for their sensitive documents and far fewer authorized users as well.
On average, virtual data room prices range from $15 to $1000+ per month.
What are the starting prices of virtual data rooms?
Considering the pricing rates that the majority of modern virtual data rooms offer, starting prices can be as low as $15 per month.
Naturally, it depends on a particular vendor and the client’s needs. For example, if you need virtual data room software to conduct several complex transactions, do not expect pricing plans with such low rates. On the other hand, if you need a virtual data room solution for simple file-sharing services, such VDR pricing is realistic.
Are there free VDRs?
Inexperienced users often consider such data storage apps as Google Drive free virtual data rooms. But it’s not correct.
Virtual data rooms, unlike common online file sharing and document storage services, offer advanced security features that ensure the first-rate safety of confidential information.
Virtual data room providers are never free, but the majority of modern vendors offer free trials for clients to test the software’s functionality and the provider’s services.
Do providers offer discounts for virtual data room services?
As a rule, most virtual data room providers offer discounts to clients who purchase subscriptions longer than three months or choose to be billed annually.
Sometimes, non-profit organizations receive special discounts.
Additionally, some VDRs provide discounts for new users or loyal customers.
The most popular VDR pricing structures
Virtual data room pricing rates usually are based on the following approaches.
A per-page pricing structure presupposes that clients pay for every page they upload to the virtual data room. Usually, per-page payment is offered by more traditional and older virtual data rooms. Such a system won’t fit the needs of larger corporations or enterprises, as they would be overpaying for corporate document sharing.
Considering the fact that vendors typically charge from $0.40 to $0.85 per page, the final cost could be as high as $40,000 per month for large companies.
|Hint: Per-page pricing structure is now considered old-fashioned and is rarely offered.|
The pricing of VDR vendors with a per-user approach significantly depends on how many users you want to add to your cloud storage.
The more user licenses, the higher the cost. Additionally, the number of administrative users will also influence the final price, as each additional user costs extra.
Most VDR providers offer several subscription plans with different volumes of storage space. The more sensitive documents you need for due diligence, the more storage you’ll need. Logically, the more storage space you need, the higher the subscription fees.
Fixed monthly rate
The majority of modern vendors opt for a flat-fee pricing model. With this approach, there’s a fixed price for every subscription plan. Each plan comes with a certain feature set, the volume of cloud storage, number of users and administrators that you can invite to the deal room. Of course, all plans include advanced security measures.
|Tip: Flat-fee pricing structure is the best for extensive projects with unknown timelines.|
Compare virtual data room pricing
|VDR Provider||Starting Price||Minimum Use Period||Tariff Plan||Free Trial|
|iDeals||Not provided||No minimum usage period||Monthly||30-day trial|
|Merrill Datasite||Not provided||No minimum usage period||Per-page pricing||By request|
|Citrix||Available on Request||No minimum usage period||Per user, per month||14-day trial|
|Intralinks||Starting at $25 per month||No minimum usage period||Per monthPer page||30-day trial by request|
|DealRoom||Starting from $1250/month billed annually||No minimum usage period||Flat monthly fee||14-day trial|
|WatchDox||Not provided||No minimum usage period||Per user, per month||By request|
|Firmex||Not provided||No minimum usage period||Monthly||Not available|
|Digify||Starting at $150 per month||No minimum usage period||Monthly||7-day trial|
|Venue by DFIN||Not provided||No minimum usage period||Per-page pricing||Not available|
|SecureDocs||Starting at $400 per month billed annually||3 months||Per data room per month||7-day trial|
|Drooms||Available on request||No minimum usage period||Flat monthly payment + additional fees||By request|
|Clinked||Starting at $83 a month||No minimum usage period||Monthly||10-day trial|
|Onehub||Starting at $29.95 Per Month||No minimum usage period||Per month, per team||14-day trial|
|Box||Not provided||No minimum usage period||Monthly||14-day trial|
iDeals data room pricing
iDeals offers three pricing plans, including Pro, Business, and Enterprise.
With the Pro plan, you can manage one project, have unlimited users, and leverage up to 10 GBs of storage. This plan works well for small to midsize projects. The Business plan offers one project, five administrators, guest users, and 250 GBs of storage.
The Enterprise plan allows you to manage multiple projects with unlimited administrators and guest users. This plan also includes flexible storage with a dedicated project team. Contact iDeals through their website to request more detailed pricing information.
Citrix data room pricing
Citrix data room provider offers four pricing plans, including Workspace Essentials, Workspace Standard, Workspace Premium, and Workspace Premium Plus.
- The basic plan, Workspace Essentials, costs $2 per user per month and offers SSO in SaaS, web applications, and multi-factor authentication.
- The Workspace Standard plan is $7 per user/month and includes microapps, personalized feeds, and Citrix Content Collaboration Standard service with unlimited storage.
- With the Workspace Premium plan for $18 per month, you get standard functionality together with advanced security controls, unified endpoint management, and Content Collaboration Premium.
- Finally, the Workspace Premium Plus, which costs $25 per user/month, includes all Workspace Premium functionality, but you also have access to the cloud management option for Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops.
Intralinks data room pricing
Intralinks VDRPro pricing starts at $25 per month, however, you need to contact a company representative to get a personalized quote. Intralinks’s services are considered expensive as compared to other leading VDR providers.
DealRoom offers four plans, including Pipeline Only, Single Project, Cross-Team Professional, and Enterprise.
- The Pipeline Only plan includes unlimited projects for $1,250 per month. The Single Project plan allows you to manage one project with unlimited users and 5GB of data storage for $1,500 per month.
- Cross-Team Professional plan includes unlimited projects and users, pipeline management, and 20GB of data storage. Contact a company representative for a personalized quote.
- Finally, the Enterprise plan is a tailored solution for teams that have specified requirements.
WatchDox (BlackBerry Workspaces) data room pricing
BlackBerry Workspaces has three editions — Send, Collaborate, and Secure Plus.
- The Send edition provides you with 20GB of storage per user, while the Collaborate and Secure Plus plans offer unlimited file storage.
The prices for BlackBerry Workspaces start at $15 as a flat monthly fee per user. To get more information about the pricing, contact a company sales representative.
Firmex data room pricing
The Firmex pricing model is flexible and cost-effective, contact a company representative for a personalized quote.
However, according to users, Firmex charges monthly and customizes feature and service sets to meet client requirements. To ensure proper data room pricing, it is important for users to outline their requirements and expectations. Potential clients may take advantage of their free trial period.
Digify data room pricing
Digify offers different Business plans and an Enterprise plan. Business plans include Pro, Team, and Business.
- A Pro plan costs $150 per month for which you get 1 user, 3 data rooms, and 50 data room guests. The Team plan is $400 per month for 3 users, 10 data rooms, and 200 data room guests. And finally, the Business plan costs $1500 per month for 5 users, 25 data rooms, 500 data room guests, and other advanced features.
- Digify’s Enterprise Plan is a tailored solution with additional compliance and security features. Contact a company representative for a customized quote.
Venue data room pricing
Venue offers three data room plans: Business Room, Virtual Data Room, and Custom Room.
- The Business Room provides storage for up to 10,000 pages, free and unlimited number of users, and basic data room features.
- The Virtual Data Room plan costs €1,499/month, which is billed annually. This package provides storage for up to 25,000 pages, more advanced data room features, and tech support.
- The Custom Room plan allows you to have multiple virtual data rooms for extended or limited durations and handle larger page volumes. You can contact a company representative through their website for a personalized quote.
SecureDocs data room pricing
SecureDocs offers three pricing plans: 3-month, 12-month, and Volume Packages.
- A 3-month plan costs $400 per data room per month, which is ideal for a short-term project. A 12-month plan specifically designed for long-term projects is $250 per data room per month.
- Volume packages are for multiple deals — contact a company representative for further details and a customized quote.
Drooms data room pricing
Drooms data room provider offers two plans: Pro and Custom.
- The Pro plan starts at $14.45 per user per month and allows 10 users and 3 GBs of storage. There is also a Custom plan, which offers unlimited users and unlimited storage — contact a company representative for further details and a customized quote.
You can also add additional features to your data room for $5.60 per user per month.
Clinked data room pricing
Clinked offers four pricing plans, which include Lite, Standard, Premium, Enterprise.
- The Lite plan costs $83 a month (if billed annually) and offers a portal for 100 members, 100 GBs of storage, and allows an unlimited number of guests. The Standard plan starts at $209 a month (if billed annually) and offers additional features.
- With a Premium plan for $416 per month (if billed annually), you’re allowed up to 250 members, 3TB of storage, and personalized email notifications. An Enterprise plan costs $836 a month, where you get all functionality with 1000 members, 5TB of storage, and a mobile app.
Onehub data room pricing
Onehub offers four pricing plans — Standard, Advanced, Data Room Edition, and Unlimited Edition.
- The Standard plan costs $15 per user per month for 3 paid users, 50 workspaces, and 1 TB cloud storage. The Advanced plan is $25 per user per month for 5 paid users, 1000 total users, 200 workspaces, and unlimited cloud storage.
- Data Room Edition is $375 per month, and the Unlimited Edition costs $575 per month, which comes with unlimited paid users, total users, workspaces, and cloud storage.
Box data room pricing
Box offers individual and business plans. For individuals, the company offers two plans — Individual, which is free of charge, and Personal Pro for $10 per month.
- There are four business plans, including Starter, which is $5 per user per month, Business is $15 per user per month, Business Plus costs $25 per user per month, and Enterprise. Contact a company representative for a personalized quote for the Enterprise plan.
The first three business plans offer free trial periods.
When is a fixed subscription fee the best decision?
A pricing model with a fixed monthly fee is the best for long-term usage. This way, large corporations or enterprises who plan to conduct a due diligence process can see the predictable cost of the VDR services at the very beginning of the deal and avoid overspending.
When is it more profitable to pay for the number of users and storage space?
If your company seeks a virtual data room solution for a short-term project, the per-user and by-storage-space pricing models are usually the most cost-efficient. This is because you can control spending when you know how much space you’ll need for document sharing and how many users will need access.
Factors that influence VDR pricing
Virtual data room pricing usually depends on the following factors.
Document security features
If a data room provider offers a larger variety of tools that ensure the security of your confidential documents, the virtual data room pricing will probably be higher than average.
Expect at least these secure data room features when choosing a higher-priced, more credible provider:
- Dynamic watermarking
- File-tracking capabilities
- Remote shred
- Fence view
Document management features
The easier it is to manage large volumes of sensitive data, the more virtual data rooms will charge.
Reliable VDR providers usually offer at least these data management features:
- Drag-and-drop and bulk upload
- Automatic index numbering
- Full-text search
- File labeling
- Zip upload
Access control tools
If you want to take full control of user actions inside a deal room, be ready to pay extra.
Relatively costly data rooms usually offer features such as:
- Access expiration control
- Granular user permissions
- Time and IP restrictions
- User security impersonation
Overall security measures
Enhanced security is what primarily differentiates VDRs from such usual file-sharing services as Google Drive.
Naturally, the more security measures a VDR provider ensures, the more it charges for its subscription plans.
Below are the most common security features you should expect from a top VDR vendor:
- Two-factor authentication
- Multiple data centers
- SOC 1, 2, 3 compliance
- ISO 27001 certification
Analytics features enable an administrative user to control user performance inside a virtual data room. This way, companies can track the deal’s progress and accelerate decision-making.
The more analytic possibilities VDR software provides, the higher the cost. The following features are minimum requirements:
- Full audit trails
- User-activity tracking
User management features
VDR providers that ensure smooth and straightforward user management usually charge higher rates.
The bare minimum user management features include:
- Permission-based user roles
- Bulk user invitation
- Group setup
A virtual data room should be easy to use for everyone — from private equity and law firms to investment banking specialists and company executives. Naturally, when a particular vendor is easier to use, its services will likely cost more.
The following features are a must for a first-rate experience:
- Third-party integrations such as Microsoft Office, Zoom, or Slack
- Single sign-on
- Availability of VDR versions for mobile devices
How to choose the right tariff plan for your needs?
When choosing a virtual data room pricing plan, you should consider your project’s needs and the size of your business.
Small- and medium-sized businesses won’t usually need an enterprise plan with unlimited storage, users, and administrator options. Smaller companies typically opt for a standard subscription with a limited number of users and administrators, as well as optional storage capacity (it can be fixed or unlimited).
On the other hand, large corporations generally select an enterprise plan. This is because big companies usually require a VDR solution for long-term projects or for managing several simultaneous transactions.
So, when choosing the right pricing plan to fit your budget, follow these simple steps:
- Consider your business’s size.
- Determine your company’s needs.
- Determine how many documents you’ll need to upload and how many users will need access.
- Outline the features you might need to conduct your business deals with the help of VDR.
Virtual data room costs vs. physical data room costs
With the evolution of data rooms, VDR providers have become more cost-effective for secure document storing and sharing than physical data rooms.
While a VDR solution offers one secure link that leads to a single digital document storage space, a physical data room requires:
- Physical buildings to store the documentation
- Employees to take care of the document storage facility
- The implementation of extra security measures such as key cards or face scans to ensure data safety
Obviously, operating a physical data room is more expensive. Thus, the price they charge for their services will take that into account. That’s why users prefer VDR solutions with flexible pricing plans instead.
Virtual data room pricing varies greatly from $15 to $1000+per month.
Monthly rates depend on the set of features offered by the VDR provider, the storage volume you need, and the number of users you want to add to the virtual data room.
There are also different VDR pricing structures: per-page, per-user, by storage capacity, and fixed monthly fee.
To choose the right virtual data room with the most fitting pricing model, potential VDR users should consider their business size and the duration of the project.